Yes, you read that write (I mean right, har har): Book Babes. Named, obviously because we love books and because unarguably we are hot nerd-babes. Tonight we had our wind up meeting (combined with s’more eating) for the year, and in September will go into our third year.
People have often asked me about our group and the main concern seems always to be, “Are you a serious group?” Serious about reading? Yes, fervently, wholeheartedly, crushingly serious about reading. For most of us, walking into a library is a farmer’s equivalent of walking into a John Deere wholesale dealership. Sometimes, some of us feel like peeing the minute we walk into Chapters. Ummmm, okay, that might be me.
But serious meetings? Not so much. A typical meeting goes something like this:
Janet: “I didn’t like the book. Nope I actually really hated it. It was stooopid.”
Janette: “I really liked the book. I thought it was wonderful.”
Group: “Okay, let’s eat.”
Occasionally we touch on plot, and sometimes even delve into theme, but we studiously avoid words that are multi-syllabic, are French, or ones we can't define and/or pronounce, so that leaves out: denouement, allegory, epistolary and apologue just for a start.
Occasionally we touch on plot, and sometimes even delve into theme, but we studiously avoid words that are multi-syllabic, are French, or ones we can't define and/or pronounce, so that leaves out: denouement, allegory, epistolary and apologue just for a start.
| Book Babes (a few babettes M.I.A.) |
I feel so lucky to have these fabulous ladies in my life. Sharing my passion for literature with like minded, smart and fun women has been quite amazing. We don't always agree on the merits of the books we read but I think that we would all, for sure, agree that the literary thread that ties us together just gets stronger book by book.
No comments:
Post a Comment